The name of your form is SONGAHM which means: "Pine tree temple." Pine tree is known as evergreen... Evergreen has strength the year round and a long life. Evergreen also is a symbol of unchanging human loyalty.
I will practice int the Spirit of Taekwondo,
with COURTESY for fellow students,
LOYALTY for my instructor,
and RESPECT for my juniors and seniors, SIR!"
I will live with PERSEVERANCE
in the Spirit of Taekwondo,
having HONOR with others,
INTEGRITY within myself,
and SELF CONTROL in my actions, Sir!"
(All forms begin symbolically facing east)
1. Left foot steps east to left front stance, left high block.
2. No step. Right middle section reverse punch.
3. #2 Right front kick
4. Land in right front stance, right low block
5. Left foot steps east to left front stance, left middle
6. Right foot moves clockwise to form middle stance on
east-west line; right inner forearm block to west.
7. #3 Right side kick. Kihap
8. Land in middle stance, right knifehand strike to west.
9. Left foot steps west to left front stance, left high
10. Right foot steps west to right front stance, right high block
11. No step. Left middle section reverse punch.
12. #2 Left front kick
13. Land in left front stance, left low block
14. Right foot steps west to right front stance, right middle section punch
15. Left foot moves counter-clockwise to form middle stance
on east - west line; left inner forearm block to east.
16. #3 Left side kick. Kihap,
17. Land in middle stance, left knifehand strike to east.
18. Right foot steps east to right front stance, right high
Bahroh (rest) -Left foot steps forward to natural ready stance.
The name of your form is SONGAHM which means: "Pine tree temple." Pine tree is known as evergreen...Evergreen has strength the year round and a long life. Evergreen also is a symbol of unchanging human loyalty.
The following is the basic meaning behind the color of your belt. If you would like a more detailed description of the philosophy behind your rank, please refer to volume one of Grand Master Lee's collection on traditional Taekwondo entitled, "The Way of Traditional Taekwondo."
"Pure and without the knowledge of Songahm Taekwondo. As with the Pine Tree, the seed must now be planted and nourished to develop strong roots."
The student has no knowledge of Songahm Taekwondo and begins with a clean (pure) slate.
Forms are a tool that an instructor uses to teach a student all the basics and kicks systematically...beginning stage to advanced. It is essential for you as a student of Taekwondo to learn how to develop focus, correct technique, balance, speed, power, and feeling of movements.
The forms are broken down into segments. The segments are combinations of techniques that create a naural flow to the form.
Segments break down: 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3
Songahm IL-Jahng (1) was developed by Grand Master Lee and dedicated Senior Instructors. It has 18 movements and its Ki-haps are on the 7th movement (right side kick), the 16th movement (left side kick).
"Welcome to the largest family of martial artists in the world. Songahm Taekwondo is the most modern 'traditional' martial art available today. And, my staff and I work very hard to continue advancing the art so that every new student, as yourself, will be introduced to 'state of the art' Taekwondo.
White belt doesn't mean that you are at the bottom. You have made the step that hundreds of thousands only dream about. You, unlike those who only talk about it, have conquered the first step to achieving your black belt. But more importantly, all good things have a strong foundation and a solid beginning. The White belt is your foundation. And, I guarantee that the foundation you will build on within Songahm Taekwondo is 'light years' ahead of what was offered to me when I was a White belt.
Always remember that a frog too, was once just a tadpole."
Grand Master H.U. Lee